Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Former Connecticut bank supervisor charged with embezzling customers' money

A former bank teller supervisor from Kent is facing criminal charges for allegedly embezzling $13,000 from one of her customers.Rocio A. Trinidad, 28, 310 South Kent Road, was arrested on a warrant Friday after police said she admitted to embezzling $13,400 from the account of Walter R. Edeen, a customer she assisted while employed at a Webster Bank branch in Kent.According to court documents, Edeen, who has since died, gave Trinidad small monetary gifts ranging from $20 to $100. Beginning in October 2009, however, she began conducting transactions not authorized by Edeen, police said, allegedly taking out between $100 and $3,000 on various occasions between Oct. 16 and April 30.She also would allegedly adjust withdrawal slips that Edeen filled out. If he requested $800 she would place a three in front of that, creating a total $3,800, the woman allegedly admitted to police. Then she would take the $3,000 for herself and give Edeen the $800 he requested, court documents stated.She was eventually terminated on July 2 from her job at the Kent bank branch, after being approached about the matter, court documents stated.On July 17 Kenneth Willard, senior vice president and director of financial intelligence for Webster Bank, N.A., brought the case to police after he had been contacted by Edeen’s family, police said.When police confronted Trinidad, the woman allegedly admitted to the operation. She said she did not accept the tips at first because of Webster Bank’s policy, but after going through some financial hardships with her children, mortgage and other expenses she began taking the tips. Then, she admitted to making the unauthorized withdrawals, her warrant affidavit stated.Police said there were at least four of the withdrawal slips she signed with Edeen’s name at the bottom, court documents stated.Trinidad is facing one count of second-degree larceny and three counts of third-degree forgery.Trinidad turned herself in to the state police Troop L barracks on Friday. After appearing in Bantam Superior Court on a $10,000 bond, Judge Cara Eschuk released Trinidad on a promise to appear back on Sept. 8.She was also ordered to remain at her current address while the case is pending.

No comments:

Post a Comment