Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

Main Line bank manager facing embezzlement charges in Pennsylvania

A Willistown bank manager is facing 158 charges related to the embezzlement of money from the bank, as well as embezzling from a deceased aunt.Carol B. Weir, 61, was arrested Thursday by Malvern Police after allegedly stealing $43,533 from an ATM machine at the Malvern Federal Bank, where she worked. Police also allege Weir took two checks for $30,000 each that were from a deceased aunt’s investment account and deposited them into her daughter’s account without permission from her aunt’s estate.
The investigation began in August when police were contacted by Malvern Federal. Police eventually learned Weir was in some kind of financial trouble, which led to her allegedly stealing from the ATM machine and her aunt. Police allege she siphoned off cash as she filled the ATM machine, one of her duties as manager.
“I’ve known Carol Weir for years as the manager of Malvern Federal, and it’s unfortunate that it came to this,” said Malvern Police Officer Joseph Cordone, who handled the investigation.
After Weir learned police were investigating her, she resigned from her position at the bank. She and her attorney have since been cooperating with police, Cordone said. Weir allegedly confessed to stealing the money out of the ATM machine, according to court documents.
Among the charges levied against Weir are 13 first-degree felony charges of dealing in proceeds of unlawful activity, 11 second-degree felony charges of forgery and a host of third-degree felonies, including theft by deception, identity theft, unlawful use of a computer and computer trespass.
“It was an involved investigation, but we’re satisfied with the result,” Cordone said. “Carol Weir and her attorney are cooperating fully with the police department and the District Attorney’s office.”
Weir was arraigned Thursday before Magisterial District Judge Chester F. Darlington and has since waived her preliminary hearing. Her formal arraignment is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Nov. 18 in the county courthouse, according to online court documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment